Friday, April 17, 2009

Keeping your students in line in the classroom

As a teacher it is imperative to be able to control your students within the classroom...as a teacher you must have control of your students. I recently talked to my boyfriend's sister, who is a teacher, and we discussed having a disciplinary action plan set from the beginning of the year. This enables you as a teacher to have grounds to stand on when you may come down and have to discipline a student. Afterall I did have to teach a lesson in my classroom in one of my spring classes and realized that once you say something will be done you need to stay firm and students will have to answer to the consquences. This was one of the main things that I learned after being up there and discussing what had happened with my teacher and my boyfriend's sister, who has been in the teaching world within the past ten years. The one thing that I def. received as adviced was to set forth a disciplinary plan for the students so that strike one will have a certain consequence and follow to the last strike that would result in the most severe consquence.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. A set disciplinary plan is necessary. If a teacher is firm right away, then the students will listen. I think that I've heard a saying describing how teacher's should act. "Don't smile until Christmas". LoL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true kris, during me student teaching, the kids automatically wanted me to be on their side. They did not understand that I was preparing myself to be a teacher. Whatever my cooperating teacher said, I followed. The importance of having a plan for discipline is vital. The students from day one will be obligated to follow the rules and as a teacher we should always hold strong.

    ReplyDelete